Monday, April 19, 2010

MIA & Dry Shampoo

Sorry! I don't really know how many of you out there actually read this blog, but I've been out of town for a week and just doing not much of anything.

Anyhow! I purchased this amazing thing called "dry shampoo" during my travels. The concept of dry shampoo has been out for quite a long time now (for people who can't shower or get their head wet due to surgeries, are out camping, or don't have access to a shower for a few days)--so I am not discovering anything new.  I don't shampoo/wash my hair every day as it strips it of its natural, healthy oils (and more frequent washing will actually make your head produce more oil more quickly to try to replace the oil it has lost).  I suffer from my bangs getting oily because it sticks to my forehead when I sleep (my forehead produces oil) and the fringe of my face and roots of my hair getting oily the day after shampooing.  I have super fine hair too, so to get any kind of body I have to either use my flat iron to add some heat set lift, blow it out with a round brush, or curl it.  Most days it just lays flat to my head, limp, but shiny thanks to my conditioner (Infusium 23).
I found this particular brand "Psssssst" at my local Walgreens Pharmacy for about $7.  Dry shampoo is basically a powder spray in a bottle (like cornstarch or baby powder, but in aerosol form for even distribution).  Word of warning: it says it is "unscented" but it is not.  I think it has a light floral, baby powderish smell.  One of the ingredients actually says "fragrance."  It's nothing too overwhelming though, but if you're looking for something unscented--this isn't for you.  It leaves your hair smelling refreshed and not that dirty, oily scalp smell.  You shake the can, lift your hair, and spray it about 6-8" away from your head directed at the roots, "fluff" gently with your fingers, let it sit for 1-2 minutes, then use your brush to "brush" away the excess product.  It makes my hair feel fuller without the weight and a guess it feels a bit more voluminous because of this extra oomph.  And no more oily bangs! I can get away with not washing my hair for 1-2 days and giving it a break from heat styling and stripping it of natural oils with this little gem.  I like the cute, retro graphics of the can too!

Do your research and find a brand that works for you though!

Bonne chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment